Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 13: Somewhere You'd Like to Move or Visit

This won't come as any surprise to those of you that read me praising The Princess and the Frog or have seen the Saints sticker on my car, but I wanna go to New Orleans so badly!

It started when I was a teenager and reading Poppy Z. Brite. I still read her. I love her books about chefs and the restaurant world the most. Then on my honeymoon, we went to the Commander's Palace in Las Vegas and had what was probably the best dinner I've ever had in my life. I just googled it to put up a link, and apparently the one in Vegas is closed! Sad! But here it was:

(source: travel.webshots.com)

I love the Saints, and I love the K. Gates song "Black & Gold" so much that Mr. Polly had to put a limit on how many times in a row I could listen to it when he's home. It's on my ipod for when I go running. I pretend I'm training with the team. Because I'm cool like that. I'm sure they'd be delighted to run the 1.5 mile loop around my local little lake with me, don't you think? Drew Brees could put his kids in the jogging stroller and bring them along! Who Dat!

The other thing I find fascinating about New Orleans (well, really all of Louisiana) is the story of the Acadians and their expulsion, and how they later settled and became known as cajuns in the US. Evangeline is such a beautiful poem about it. I know "the forest primeval" is actually referring to the Quebec/New England area, but having lived in the Pacific Northwest my whole life, I obviously picture the forests here. Think Hoh rainforest. Hell, think forests from Twilight; those are also some forests primeval, don't you think? And they're so beautiful.

Just because it's so good, here's the beginning of the prelude to Evangeline:
"This is the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks,
Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight,
Stand like Druids of eld, with voices sad and prophetic,
Stand like harpers hoar, with beards that rest on their bosoms.
Loud from its rocky caverns, the deep-voiced neighboring ocean
Speaks, and in accents disconsolate answers the wail of the forest"

Lastly, I have a huge thing for brass instruments. I really need to learn to play the trumpet. I'd have myself a very good time dancing every night if and when I finally get to go visit New Orleans. I love the Rebirth Brass Band - they're who I listen to on my breaks at work when I'm exhausted to pick me up enough to go back out on the floor and finish it up.

Who's with me? We'll share a hotel room!

3 comments:

  1. Girl, come on down! I know where a few great street bands play in New Orleans and you haven't lived until you have eaten beignets at Café Du Monde. :-) Depending on where I go after graduation, you and Mr Pollyanna might even have a couch to crash on in the heart of the French Quarter. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you know what? Mr. P and I are seriously considering going down around Christmas this year if we can afford it! Imma email you so we can be facebook friends or something and keep in touch with real names and all that so you can see I'm not secretly Jeffrey Dahmer. If I were you, I'd try to move to New Orleans after graduation. But if you're interested in the PNW I can fill you in on some hospitals that are currently recruiting new grads from other areas; my next door neighbor is a new RN grad from Montana that moved to my town to work at our hospital :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am keeping my options open. A few girlfriend are moving to New Orleans when we get licensed and one asked if I wanted to be her roommate. I'm thinking maybe it would be good to stay here for a few years and then try my hand at travel nursing. Northern Cali and Oregon are on the list but I am not ruling anything out at this point. :)
    Yeah. Send me an email and I'll add you on Facebook. :)
    EstelleDarling[@]gmail[.]com

    ReplyDelete